Photo credit : Express Media / Panam Sports
The opening day of competition went well for Team Canada at the Santiago 2023 Pan American Games. Frédérique Lambert had the most challenging schedule with three matches.
Both Lambert and Michèle Morissette started off the day for Canada, facing opponents from Chile who had a lot of home country support.
Lambert played Paula Javiera Mansilla, winning fairly easily in in three games, with scores of 11-3, 11-2, 11.6. Morissette had a tougher match against Carla Muños. She played well, particularly in the second and third games, but Muñoz won, 11-4, 12-10, 11-7.
Lambert and Morissette were back on the court in the afternoon in women’s doubles against Jimena Gomes and Maricruz Ortiz. Canada took control in the first two games, had a tougher time in game 3, but put the match away in game 4 with scores of 11-8, 11-7, 7-11 and 11-5.
Lambert and Samuel Murray played the last match of the day for Team Canada, facing Andres Acuña and Maricruz Ortiz. Lambert and Murray were in control of the first two games and came from behind to almost finish the match in 3 games but missed that opportunity. They took back control and ended the match in four games winning 11-7, 11-2, 10-12, 11-5.
Sam Murray and Coby Iwaasa both had byes in men’s singles and doubles today. Iwaasa is eager to get onto the courts tomorrow and begin his Pan Am Games tournament.
Hearing Lambert and Murray introduced today as the 2022 World Championship silver medalists was a reminder of how strong Team Canada was at the last World Championships.
However tomorrow Team Canada is the lower seed in almost all matches so the road to the podium won’t be easy, but Team Canada is up for the challenge.
Here is the line-up for tomorrow’s matches for Team Canada.
Women’s Singles (Round of 16)
(17) Frédérique Lambert (Canada) vs (1) Natalia Mendez (Argentina)
Men’s Singles (Round of 16)
(7) Samuel Murray (Canada) vs (10) Gabriel Garcia (Costa Rica)
(8) Coby Iwaasa (Canada) vs (9) Andres Acuña (Costa Rica)
Women’s Doubles (Quarterfinals)
(8) Frédérique Lambert / Michèle Morissette (Canada) vs (1) Alexandra Herrera / Montserrat Mejia (Mexico)
Men’s Doubles (Quarterfinals)
(6) Coby Iwaasa / Samuel Murray (Canada) vs (3) Alejandro Landa / Daniel De La Rosa (United States)
Mixed Doubles (Quarterfinals)
(8) Frédérique Lambert / Samuel Murray (Canada) vs (1) Angelica Barrios / Conrrado Moscoso (Bolivia)